"I won't regret

Because you can grow
flowers


From
where
dirt used to be"


--Kate Nash


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Last Night in Emporia

My old friend Josh had just gotten to town to do summer theater, so it was his first night in town, and I was rolling out right after work the next day, so it was my last night in town....and we decided to celebrate.

We went out to the Noose, which we hardly ever go to now, because they were having a $1 PBR special. I'm wearing a new top that I got for my b-day that really shows off the girls and a beautiful coral statement necklace. I walk into the bar laughing with my friends and then I have to do a double take:

It's Glass Guy.

He always seems to just magically appear when I'm least expecting him.

I haven't spoken to him since that chance encounter at the bar weeks ago. I'd deleted him from my phone and even un-friended him on Facebook. I was DONE with GG (truth be told I would still check out his FB profile every now and again). DONE. But there he was, on my last night in town. It felt like fate. Like God was giving me a freebie.

He hugged me hello, bought me a drink (I didn't pay for a drink all night. SWEET!), and we got to talking, like we always do, but it was different this time. I didn't get the crazy stomach flip or feel nauseous. I didn't even really get into that bubble where I only notice him. It was liberating. I actually didn't care. My mind was just in "Whatevs. I'm outta here!" mode.

He drove me home. Apparently when you have no means to cook food (or really anything in your apartment but a bed and a suitcase) and are trying to sustain yourself on a couple of value menu tacos from Taco Bell, you get drunk a lot easier. He stayed the night. I hate sleeping alone so it was a good way to spend my last night.

Something had definitely changed from before, and it was for the better. We snuggled, he kissed my forehead, he gave compliments.....He was still awkward, but since I was out of my infatuated haze I saw it for what it was: a defense mechanism. At that point I realized that it is quite possible that GG has NEVER had a real girlfriend, so he doesn't really know what to do around girls. And it is also possible that he liked me a more than I thought (although it doesn't really matter now). I actually LAUGHED at stuff instead of getting all offended. It was an all-around nice evening.

He said he wanted to come visit me in Cincinnati.

Maybe if he comes to visit me we'll have a grand old time, but I'm not getting my hopes up or waiting around. I've already got one foot out the door. I'm gone.

Somehow, without even discussing everything, it all feels resolved, and to be honest, I could care less at this point. I feel like I finally got to have the summer fling I was looking for, and now I'm done.

Mission Accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment