"I won't regret

Because you can grow
flowers


From
where
dirt used to be"


--Kate Nash


Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Dating Game

I have a date.

A lunch date with the Science Teacher at Habanero, the restaurant with the awesome tortilla chips a block from my house.

I swear, guys don't know how to ask a girl out anymore.

He asked for my number via Match.com and I complied.

A day later he texts me and asks me what I'm doing. I tell him I'm working on a project. He replies that he'll let me work on that. I thought it was considerate, but not very assertive.

Today he texts me again. Asks me what my plans for Friday are. I tell him my schedule and asks why he wants to know to perhaps push this thing along a bit. Response?

"I think you know why. lol"
Seriously, dude? You're a real smooth operator.

So, I reply with, "We'll yes I have an idea but if you're trying to set up a date just come out with it!"

I quickly sent a follow-up smiley face so it didn't seem quite so bitchy.

And then he said he wanted to meet me at the mall.

I'm sorry, WHAT?

I know you teach middle-schoolers but that doesn't mean you have to date like one! I haven't found it romantic to meet someone at a mall since I transitioned from Tween to Teen.

So we're going to my neighborhood, of course, because I'd hate to be inconvenienced, and I actually am squeezing him into my very hectic schedule this week (hence the lunch date).

The upside to this interaction is that it proved that I am back to my regular, uninvested, take-no-bullshit self. It was rejuvenating. Like filling your lungs with crisp morning air when you first walk outside.

The Engineer and I continue to message each other, but I keep setting him up to ask me out and he keeps stalling.

I have the sneaking suspicion that these guys are on Match because they are unable to function in the social real-world. Therein lies my prejudice. Whilst searching for love on Match.com, in the back of my head I judge every prospect for needing to be on Match.com.....Is that ridiculously unfair or what?

No, you know what's ridiculous? The circus that is trying to date in this day and age.

Dating isn't rocket science. There are THREE basic things you need to do in order to be successful at it.

1. ASK
2. PLAN the date
3. Be polite

No, I don't want to hang out with you and your friends at a bar, that's not a date. Yes, you have to ask me in advance, because I have a life. No, I will not ask you, because I could take or leave you.



It's enough to make a girl want to throw in the towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment