"I won't regret

Because you can grow
flowers


From
where
dirt used to be"


--Kate Nash


Sunday, April 25, 2010

One Wild Weekend

Wow, what a weekend, and it's really only Saturday night! (or Sunday morning if you want t get technical)

This was the first entire weekend off I've had in I can't remember when, so I thought I'd make the most of it. Friday, after an 8 hour shift at work I headed to Blue House for a couple of girlfriend's birthday party. You'll never guess who showed up: Glass Guy.

I, with baited breath, had sent GG a link of a singer named Leon Redbone performing an old Irving Berlin tune. He's really into old music, so I took a chance, and it paid off. He upped the ante, sending me TWO links and writing on my wall. I was positively giddy. I mean, that's a lot of facebook attention. So, I sent him a FB invite to the Blue House party. He didn't know anyone there, I didn't expect him to show up, but I wore my super pretty pink maxi dress just in case.

And he did.

I'm lauging with my friends and I turn around and there he is out of nowhere. The rest of the night became like a cocoon and we were the only two people inside. Joel brought his parachute (why Joel has a parachute, I don't know), and we all played with the parachute like we did in gradeschool. GG and I weren't drinking that much and everyone else was ridiculosly drunk (maybe it was being the old-er graduates at a college house party) so we quickly started messing with people. It was like our own little inside joke. We kept sharing furtive glances and laughing, and his smile is fantastic. Like I said before, the way his face crinkles up, it's like his whole face is smiling and not just his mouth. Also, I'm pretty sure we talked at least one guy into believing that GG used to be a big actor in the theater department and played Lysistrata in Lysistrata.

I lean in, "Lysistrata's a woman."

GG, "I figured."

More smiles. More heart fluttering.

When the party died down he drove me home. Neither of us were tired so we went to my place. Being a classy lady and not wanting to seem over eager, I didn't invite him up. Instead we sat on my front stoop and just talked. We talked about art and all the BS that comes along with it. He told me I looked nice. He told me I was easy to talk to. The conversation didn't stall like it did the other night and all of a sudden two hours had passed. We exchanged phone numbers. I asked. He's just so....well, awkward. We hugged goodnight. It was a great first non-date.

On to Saturday.

One of my favorite guys who I lovingly call Beardy is president of the rugby team and he asked me to come to their alumni game. Being a football fan and hearing that rugby is like football without pads, I agreed. Katie and I filled our reusable water bottles with beer and hauled Roomie's lawn chairs out to the field. I have no idea what was going on on the field (turns out it's pretty different from football) but even alumni ruggers are ridiculously good looking so I definitely enjoyed the game.

Afterwards Katie, Emily, Jen, Saya, and I headed to Desperados for the after game party. Mind you the game ended at 3:30, so it's still light out, but apparently the rugby team buys multiple kegs and everyone drinks for free, so the sun was up, and we all got a bit (and some people a lot) drunk.

Rugby players have all these cool traditions. They sing these rugby drinking songs and when you get your first goal in a game you do something called a Zulu at the after party where you run around naked and people throw beer on you. Three, count 'em, THREE guys did Zulus at this party, and they all definitely work out. Very nice.

One rugger randomly came up to our table as we were chatting with some of the other players. All my friends had been talking about how cute he was the whole day (I didn't see it, not my type). He looked at me, did a double take, and pointed.

"You. You are fucking gorgeous." And just like that, he was gone.

I could feel myself blush as he walked away.

The other guys turned to me.

GUY ONE: "You are gorgeous."
GUY TWO: "I second that."
GUY THREE: "He seconds it, I third it. You're gorgeous."

The MVP of the year took out his recently-won plaque. "As MVP I declare that you are, indeed, fucking gorgeous."

I think I died and went to rugby heaven.

The MVP even asked for my number. I guess when it rains it pours.

I was hoping to at least get a text from Glass Guy tonight....no such luck. He's shy, and it doesn't mean he's not interested unless it's been more than 3 days (at least I hope so). He did some more FB commenting though, so that's encouraging. I guess I shouldn't be too greedy. You can't have 5 guys call you gorgeous and your Glass Guy too, that's just obscene.

No comments:

Post a Comment